[Tagging] Village green (was Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Shrubbery V2)

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:34:40 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 11:12 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have never understood why people had to use the village green tag
> outside of Britain at all, given that the definition is quite specific. If
> something doesn't occur at your place, just don't use the tag, even if it
> renders nicely ;-)

Simple, because the concept is not unique to Britain, regardless of what
laws they have that grant special names to the grassy area in the center of
town.  They are certainly common here in *New* England where many of our
towns were laid out by British settlers.

I quote the 2009 description of landuse=village_green, which says, simply:

"A village green is a distinctive part of a village centre"

Many places have this.  Any notion that this concept only exists in Britain
seems like revisionism to me.