[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Shrubbery V2

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:08:27 UTC 2021

Am Fr., 16. Juli 2021 um 13:37 Uhr schrieb Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de>:

> Just a little impression - I might be completely on the wrong path of
> usage. For me the top level tag hierarchies landuse/natural had the
> differentiation that one of them describes large swaths of space of
> beeing in _use_ by humans, whereas the other described large swaths of
> area of space humans do not interact with or at lease dont USE.
> For me this was the high level classification of space e.g. think of
> polygons in the multi-thousand-square-meter size. So for me the natural
> impression was that landuse and natural may neither overlap themselves,
> nor the other.

You can always have something occuring naturally, "invading" or be enclosed
by human landuse, and to some extent, there can be overlap.

> The way we develop tagging landuse/natural now is that we start extending
> natural/landuse to be some "micro-mapping" tags e.g. describe individual
> parts of a garden at the "single-plant" level.

natural=tree, for example, is a very old tag that always was intended for
individual trees. For natural=wetland, there is no minimum size
requirement, nor do beaches or natural=scrub have to be
multi-thousand-square-meter-sized. These are just some examples, I am sure,
there will be many more.

> I dont agree with this.
>
> My preferred way would be a hierarchy in polygons and tagging. So we
> classify a large swath as residential and then layer polygons on top (or
> better - strictly within) which may describe fine granular what this is
> specifically. A private garden is still part of the residential area and
> not some landuse=village_green or some other strange tagging concepts
> people come up with to get it "green in the map"

right, I agree that the tags shouldn't be abused, village green for a
private garden is just wrong. I have never understood why people had to use
the village green tag outside of Britain at all, given that the definition
is quite specific. If something doesn't occur at your place, just don't use
the tag, even if it renders nicely ;-)
For private gardens there is leisure=garden with garden:type subtag.

Cheers,
Martin