[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Shrubbery V2

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 06:45:24 UTC 2021

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 16:52, Vincent van Duijnhoven <
vvanduijnhoven at outlook.com> wrote:

> Why and how do you think cultivated can be mis-used?

I agree with a lot of what was mentioned at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/shrubbery#Suggestion_to_reconsider_the_values

In particular, when is a "little" bit of care "cultivation"?

I think I mentioned this example in the original proposal, but
https://goo.gl/maps/WgxKvu2KoPJkK7oX6 &
https://goo.gl/maps/UaDo4zmcEEcWeeFW6 are areas at the back of our nearby
beach. They were all originally planted, for dune stabilisation purposes,
but then allowed to grow wild, with self-sown plants also flourishing in
there. Occasionally, Council will lop branches that are growing out over
the path, or they may go in & pull weeds out, but they're basically left
alone.

I'd happily (& have done so!) call them natural=scrub, which would match
with this proposal, but does lopping a few branches, or pulling
particularly nasty weeds = cultivated?

Please don't get me wrong, I think the proposal as a whole is good, there's
just a few words I have a slight problem with (shrubbery being one of
them!), but as mentioned above ^, I think =scrub, =shrub & =shrubs should
be fine.

Thanks

Graeme