[Tagging] The use of highway=busway at bus stations

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 17:30:34 UTC 2021

On Saturday, 17 July 2021 21:38:59 BST Vincent van Duijnhoven wrote:
> Since the acceptance of highway=busway, a re-tagging operation has started.
> The wiki page however has room for interpretation about the use of
> highway=busway on dedicated bus stations like
> this<https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/51.36478/6.17241> one (single,
> road side bus bays excluded). Atleast in the Netherlands, I see a lot of
> roads which are part of bus stations beeing re-tagged to highway=busway
> which started a discussion.
>
> There are now two possible tagging schemes available for those roads:
> 1) highway=busway
> 2) highway=service + access=no + bus=dedicated
>
> Is there any concesus/ shared idea on which one should be used considering
> this new tag? These bus stations are often roads where only busses are
> allowed so in that sense they are busways, atleast that is how I see it.
>
> Greetings,
> Vincent

I object to the idea of using highway=busway inside bus stations. I believe
highway=busway should be used for roads which belongs to the road network to
be taken into consideration when designing bus routes, but designated as PSV
(possibly +bicycle)-only. The roads inside bus stations are not part of the
road network, like highway=service.

For example, Coach House Place ( https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/153245446 )
is a good candidate to be retagged as highway=busway , as it belongs to the
road network for PSV as a route between the train station and the northern
suburbs.

Michael
--
Sent from KMail