[Tagging] man_made=courtyard tag chronology

nathan case nathancase at outlook.com
Tue Jun 1 11:19:53 UTC 2021

Thanks Robin and Graeme for your input.

Ah, it could be. I see it was recently discussed in iD regarding translations: https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/7601

>> Had a play in Overpass & found a couple that were done 2 weeks ago, which seem to be connected with schools in the US, so that may give you a lead?:

>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/944035199

>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/942301926

> My opinion -> this should be a multipolygon....
I agree that it would appear these should be multipolygon relations but could see why the inner polygon could be man_made=courtyard. Even if it is a covered courtyard, I would suggest using covered=yes, rather than having it part of the main building.

>> Also spotted a couple that have been tagged as courtyards although it would appear that they're only simple fenced off areas?

>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/356269649

>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/908917992

> Confusing... I have found some texts where courtyard also is used as a synonym for farm/farmyard.... But this wound fit here also.....

I don’t think either of those, or using as a farmyard, are correct. However, the tag is undocumented – so it’s not surprising that it’s being used in odd ways.

I think I’ll go ahead and create a Wiki page for this tag, using current examples, dictionary definitions, and the proposal as a base.

Cheers.

Nathan