[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Survey Markers

Kyle Hensel K.y.l.e at outlook.co.nz
Fri Jun 4 04:58:37 UTC 2021

Hi, thanks for the feedback

I agree if the survey point still exists but just the structure has been removed, then this proposal would suggest updating the tags from `survey_point:structure=(whatever) ` to ` survey_point:structure=none`

> If you remove the point because it is no longer easily visible

That’s not what’s suggested – if a survey marker still exists but is not easily visible, the proposal is to tag it as `survey_point:condition=not_visible`

So this:

survey_point:structure=none
survey_point:condition=not_visible

Is totally fine to map.

I was just proposing that if neither the survey point nor the structure exists anymore, then it should be removed from OSM.
This would only happen if a natural disaster or man_made earthworks removed all traces of it... do you think this is logical?

My rationale for suggesting this, is that OSM shouldn’t be used to map historical, non-existent things according to:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice#Don't%20map%20historic%20events%20and%20historic%20features