[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC 2 - Utility poles proposal

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 18:36:46 UTC 2021

Hi Bert

First of all, thank you for your answer and sorry for this long delay.
Some business took me away this proposal for a while.

Le sam. 10 avr. 2021 à 19:17, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <
bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I don't see any advantage, ambiguity in using utility=power;telecom (or
> other multiple value). In the contrary, allowing it would improve
> consistency.  Would also make it more easy to compose queries to identify
> single and mixed use networks or poles. So why would you make this
> exception ?

Supporting several utility doesn't make a given pole multi-utility.
It is still designed for a particular usage and operated by a given company
which shares extra capacity to host other networks for rent.

Given problem is such list could be pretty long if it has to reflect multi
usage of poles.
However every pole have a primary usage (surveillance cameras may be
supported on power poles but power lines aren't attached to surveillance
masts)
Some poles check pretty all points of this list:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Utility_poles_proposal#Logical_link_between_poles_and_supported_features

It could be hard to maintain.
People will not only have to add proper value when they attach a new line
and think about remove corresponding utility value when removing an old
line.
Attaching a new telephone line to existing power poles doesn't change
anything in poles lifecycle.

Just a minor change in the examples:

> Do not refer to copper cables or wires, use METAL cables or wires
> instead.  In many cases aluminium cables or even a mixtures of alu and
> copper wires in cables is used. Referring to copper cables specifically,
> from the outside in most cases not distinguishable from alu cables, is
> confusing.

I agree here, I've changed it, thank you

Best regards