[Tagging] barrier=kerb + kerb=lowered

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Mon Jun 7 15:03:01 UTC 2021

On 6/7/2021 10:52 AM, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 08:22:06AM +0200, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>
>>> On 7 Jun 2021, at 04:53, Jmapb <jmapb at gmx.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Offhand, it seems like textbook troll tagging to me, negating a tag with
>>> its own subtag. If the kerb has been lowered so that the footway is
>>> level with roadway, then not only is there no kerb but there's no
>>> barrier at all.
>>
>> the barrier tag is also used to map interruptions in barriers, see barrier=entrance
>
> This only proofs that we already broke the barrier notation earlier on.
>
> And i'd be happy to deprecate barrier=entrance for entrance=* we also
> have.

Yeah I'm not fond of barrier=entrance either. Barriers go under the
barrier=* tag, and entrances under the entrance=* tag, how hard is that?
But barrier=entrance was part of the original barrier=* proposal
approved in 2008, and is in heavy usage worldwide, so this particular
cat hasn't seen the inside of a bag in many years.

At least barrier=entrance is unambiguous -- it means "no barrier at this
particular spot." Whereas, with the addition of kerb=*, barrier=kerb
becomes entirely ambiguous -- it might mean a kerb, or it might mean the
absence of a kerb.