[Tagging] barrier=kerb + kerb=lowered

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Jun 7 17:29:55 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 07, 2021 at 05:40:20PM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
> > The point is that a lot of software assumes barrier=* to be impassable
> > as long as there are not other positive modality tags on it like
> > bicycle/foot etc.
>
> Such software will be confused by barrier=bollard and barrier=height_restrictor.
> And some other values.
>
> And for pedestrians by barrier=stile, barrier=kissing_gate, barrier=turnstile.
> And some other values.
>
> >  Which IMHO would be a perfect abstraction. A software
> > which only want navigation only needs to check for barrier=something
> > and then check modality. But instead we already overloaded
> > barrier=bollard etc with implicit modality tags, and with barrier=kerb
> > we overloaded it again with kerb=* tags.
> >
> > So for barrier=kerb. Its a barrier for a lot of Software.
> >
> > For example OSRM treats it as a barrier, or better it did. For OSRM the
> > barrier=kerb+kerb=lowered has been fixed for the car profile in March,
> > but not so for bicycle and foot profile. So today we had a strange
> > bicycle routing because of this on the regional mailinglist which
> > was caused by a barrier=kerb + kerb lowered. All except one barrier=kerb
> > had been removed already so it was a hard find.
> >
> Adapting software will be likely easier than deprecating all barrier=* values
> that are not completely blocking.

The point is with the current growth in detail we are growing the
decision tree in any software exponentially by having implicit further
assumptions. So making things explicit instead of implicit is
simplifying the decision tree a lot and thus making future tag
extensions work for 95% of the software immediately.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f at zz.de