[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Barbershop

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:47:48 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 3 Mar 2021, at 14:17, nathan case <nathancase at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> One issue with use of female/male tags is that those tags explicitly say “access is *restricted* to persons of the [female]/[male] sex or gender". (Emphasis on restricted)
>

> This is not true for barbers or hairdressers in the UK. In fact, it would be illegal (The Equality Act 2010).

it’s not seen to be a legal restriction, it‘s as you pointed out, a reference to the hair styles they offer. Maybe I’d have the right in the UK to get an appointment at the gynecologist, but they won‘t be able to benefit from the skills they’re good at. If you’re a biological male but want a male haircut, you could still benefit from the male=yes tag, as it refers to the style, not the gender as in the Equality Act.

In some regions this may be different and it may be legally forbidden, but this is within the expectations you can have from OpenStreetMap tagging when it comes to delicate topics like gender, things have to be interpreted in relation to the context.

Cheers Martin