[Tagging] Use of highway=track vs highway=service cemeteries, parks, allotment gardens, golf courses, and recreation areas

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Fri Mar 5 17:07:21 UTC 2021

Le 05.03.21 à 11:42, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging a écrit :
> Mar 5, 2021, 11:06 by marc_marc at mailo.com:
>     Le 05.03.21 à 10:50, Richard Fairhurst a écrit :
>         You really do not need two keys to express this.
>
>     I agree, but the fact that each tool has to build a list of values
>     and then classify them into main groups is not ideal either.
>
> Why? Different tools will have different needs and
> data consumers will need to make their own decisions.

How to make choices when nobody knows the characteristics
of the 8076 values ?
How to choose according to one's own criteria without a list
of criteria and the response to these criteria for each value ?
At the moment everyone is guessing: surface=ground -> not for bikes,
surface=concrete -> good for bikes. and no luck when it's not so
black<>white.

We're in an absurd situation where the more precise a data is,
the more unused it is because it would imply that everyone
1) detect the appearance of a new value in the list
2) understand the commonalities and differences with the other values
3) write code to implement the new value and its characteristics.
and this obviously takes place long after the database/wiki is updated.
Untill that, it pushes people to invent false information to force
the desired use. the surface is not suitable for bicycles?
some  add bicycle=discouraged or bicycle=no even without any sign.

To avoid this, it would be useful to have a list of surface
characteristics allowing you to treat them according to the criteria
of your choice (adapted to the vehicle, to the bicycle, in rainy
weather, ...).
In an ideal world, the contributor who invents a new value should
be offered to easily document these characteristics.
This would allow to have "any tag you want" *and* usable

Regards,
Marc