[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 11:22:32 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 6 Mar 2021, at 12:11, Peter Neale <nealepb at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Sorry, (not a maritime expert here) but I don't see how you can classify a given harbour / port as either an intermediate stop, or a terminus.  Surley, some services will stop there only briefly, before going on elsewhere, but others will terminate.
>
> I could understand that a given port could be included in a number of route relations, with role of "terminus" in one route, but "intermediate stop" in another, but I don't think that any port could be classified exclusively as one or the other.

the proposal says that any port where a route ends is a terminal, still there remain lots of ferry stops where no routes ever end, and calling these terminals seems quite odd. This is the typical situation of many small islands where routes will stop a few minutes for embarking and disembarking but then will leave off to the next stop.
The terminal information is somehow important as the routes will typically say from A to D via B and C, but it may not be crucial to tag this on the port (I am open for discussing this) although I guess (not a marine expert either) that terminals will usually provide different infrastructure compared to intermediate stops.

Cheers Martin