[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 11:11:00 UTC 2021

Sorry, (not a maritime expert here) but I don't see how you can classify a given harbour / port as either an intermediate stop, or a terminus.  Surley, some services will stop there only briefly, before going on elsewhere, but others will terminate.
I could understand that a given port could be included in a number of route relations, with role of "terminus" in one route, but "intermediate stop" in another, but I don't think that any port could be classified exclusively as one or the other.
Regards,PeterPeterPan 99

    On Saturday, 6 March 2021, 09:45:24 GMT, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

sent from a phone

> On 5 Mar 2021, at 18:08, Malcolm Herring via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>

> Why did you choose "seaway" - that kind of implies a route rather than a terminus. Would not "seaport" be a better fit for the objects you are targeting?

the term seaway was chosen as these are related to transportation on the sea. Similar to how railway=station refers to railbased infrastructure but isn’t about a route itself.

I’d like to point out that many ferry ports aren’t terminals, but intermediate stops on a route, and that landuse isn‘t suitable in general to tag countable features.

Cheers Martin