[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 11:33:09 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 5 Mar 2021, at 19:58, stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:
>
> And while we do map train routes for passengers and ferry routes for passengers, too, we don't map cargo routes for trains, although we do map their infrastructure (as railway routes, shared by both cargo usage and passenger usage).

although cargo and passenger are usually (at least around here) quite different areas, even if they happen to be at the “same” place, they are usually separated within the facility because they have very different requirements (thinking more about stations than rails)

>  But in the case of "marine" or "seaway / seaport," much infrastructure (not ports) for cargo routes is simply "water."

at ports you will find infrastructure regarding loading/unloading and getting things to a from these places, for cargo also significant areas for storage and customs (in case of international service)

>  While OSM does have (and displays) passenger ferry routes, I don't think we want to show sea cargo routes, but we do want to show their ports and other infrastructure which support such transport.

yes, I am not aiming at tagging cargo routes currently, it might be something we could add later, but probably not by mapping explicit ways for routes, as we do for rail, but more like we do for air transport.

> Thinking about how other transport modes (rail, air...) structure their tagging, differ in how they tend to show routing for passengers, but don't for cargo (but still show the infrastructure shared between them) will only help to better shape this proposal.  It's a good start, but in my opinion, it needs more depth.

I agree it is a first draft and will need more depth, but I wanted to start with something simple, because making a complete, differentiated scheme in one go would probably have led to something too complicated to digest in a single proposal.

Cheers Martin