[Tagging] RFC: Seaway key - proposal for mapping ports

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 09:42:02 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 5 Mar 2021, at 18:08, Malcolm Herring via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>

> Why did you choose "seaway" - that kind of implies a route rather than a terminus. Would not "seaport" be a better fit for the objects you are targeting?

the term seaway was chosen as these are related to transportation on the sea. Similar to how railway=station refers to railbased infrastructure but isn’t about a route itself.

I’d like to point out that many ferry ports aren’t terminals, but intermediate stops on a route, and that landuse isn‘t suitable in general to tag countable features.

Cheers Martin