[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Mon Mar 8 11:34:45 UTC 2021

On Monday 08 March 2021, Zeke Farwell wrote:
>  There have been a number of discussions on various channels recently
> about the highway=track tag.  I've taken some time to consolidate the
> feedback from these discussions into a proposed rewrite of the
> highway=track wiki page.  I think it offers a clearer and more
> globally applicable description of what we use this tag for. Let me
> know what you think.

It seems you are trying essentially to re-define a tag with more than 20
million uses.  Past experience tells that this is not going to work.

Independent of that you are framing highway=track as a residual tag
closing the OSM tagging system for two-track roads.  According to your
writing any rural road that does dot qualify as
highway=service/residential/unclassified is to be tagged as
highway=track independent of physical characteristics or function.
That collides with OSMs general approach of having an open tagging
system with positively defined tags.

You also seem to have removed almost all of the information from the
current documentation explicitly describing the delineation towards
other tags in "highway=track versus other classes of highway=*"
and "Regional usage" - those are the most important parts of the
current documentation.

Without doubt the documentation of highway=track has a lot of room for
improvement.  But i'd suggest to focus on better documenting how the
tag is actually used in a differentiated and detailed fashion.

The main issue with the current documentation of highway=track is that
it is centered around the agricultural/forestry use concept and that
practical use of the tag evidently goes beyond that in many parts of
the world (in particular those where due to climate
agriculture/forestry have little significance).  In such areas use of
the tag has been extended - but mostly this happened in analogy, for
roads that serve similar functions to agriculture/forestry tracks but
not for agriculture/forestry.  A fitting generic definition would be
roads that primarily serve as access to the land itself in contrast to
roads that serve for people to access specific objects on the land or
to move between objects.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/