[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trailblazed=poles;cairns

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:36:51 UTC 2021

I see a serious implementation problem in the European Alps where the
traditional trailblazing is often a complete mix of guideposts (I presume
that the "poles" in the proposal are "guideposts" in OSM-speak), small
shields applied to building or trees or lamp-poles or ..., painted marks on
trees or on stones in the ground or on rock walls, and cairns in higher
altitude situations.
In particular guideposts are traditionally used at junctions between trails
or with roads.
Typically such trails will have no "sections with guideposts", but nodes
with guideposts.

I know that the tendency is to have the guideposts signs an the guideposts
themselves with their dedicated IDs plus QR code and registered in
databases (including in OSM). And these guideposts are tagged separately in
OSM, and included as nodes in the route relations.

And there are very few trails that are entirely signposted where the signs
are on dedicated posts or other pre-existing supports.