[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Mar 9 22:08:33 UTC 2021

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 10:32:29PM -0500, Zeke Farwell wrote:
>  There have been a number of discussions on various channels recently about
> the highway=track tag.  I've taken some time to consolidate the feedback
> from these discussions into a proposed rewrite of the highway=track wiki
> page.  I think it offers a clearer and more globally applicable description
> of what we use this tag for. Let me know what you think.
>
> Current wiki page:  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dtrack
> Proposed rewrite:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ezekielf/Tag:highway%3Dtrack

I disagree on the first paragraph trying to insert the "track" into the
public road network classification hierarchie:

"... do not meet the criteria for service, residential, or unclassified."

is definitly a too broad statement. A track (and service) are not simply
"small unclassified" roads or anything which does not qualify for these.

Its something completely different if a road is used for public service
e.g. School Busses, Postal service etc, or for mostly or exclusive
agricultural (and the like) usage. Please dont try to fold into the
public road network hierarchy.

I will happily support stating what a track is NOT - but its not like
its everything which does not fit somewhere else, or a collection of
anything we disagress on.

Also i dont like this:

  "Explicit access=* tags are recommended on a track road. "

Please rephrase that this is only advisable when there is ground truth
e.g. explicit barriers or signs. We dont want people to assume more
fictional access tag sprinkling is a good thing to do.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f at zz.de