[Tagging] Proposed rewrite Of highway=track wiki page

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Mar 8 11:54:02 UTC 2021

Thanks for working on that! It would be great to improve documentation here.
I though about working on it but was scared about making some mistakes
and misrepresenting things, so thanks for being brave enough to
propose something for discussion.

"I'd suggest adding the purpose of each track to the description so they are not
based solely based on the physical characteristics" by Andres Harvey

For example
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Compacted_forest_track_no1.jpg
can be main access road to village and therefore highway=unclassified

And also
"dirt track road through undeveloped land in Ghana" is not highway=track
if it main access road to a village

(see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway_Tag_Africa
repeating general info using Africa-specific examples, AFAIK it is a
generally accepted advice)

"roads that primarily serve as access to the land itself in contrast to
roads that serve for people to access specific objects on the land or
to move between objects." by Christoph Hormann seems a very promising
definition, certainly preferable over one currently in draft.

I thought about something like
"road outside of regular road network, roads not leading
to cities, villages or other settlements, not leading to individual properties.

Typically used to access fields, forests, undeveloped land"
but it seems clearly inferior.

Taking "one lane" as fundamental part of definition is not a good idea.
It is fairly rare but there are two lane logging roads - how one would tag that?
And there is massive amount of one lane roads in agricultural or undeveloped areas
that are not highway=track but rather highway=unclassified or
highway=service service=driveway or
highway=residential (last one may be revealing my confusion
what "agricultural" means in English - is it including case where
there are houses every 300m with fields between them?)

"usually rural" - I am probably confused by lack of native English, but is it
including ways outside both cities and villages - for example deep within forest?

maybe it is probably caused by my English - it should be more clearly exclude
one-lane residential roads in villages  - also ones in farming and poorly
developed areas.

Also, highway=track in some cases start in well developed areas.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/227040700#map=17/50.05346/19.84046

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/227040700#map=17/50.05346/19.84046
is so well developed area that I am considering whatever
highway=pedestrian would be a better tagging

I am not sure whether smoothness tag should be so strongly promoted.

Mar 8, 2021, 04:32 by ezekielf at gmail.com: