[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - trailblazed=poles;cairns

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 08:08:47 UTC 2021

On 8/3/21 5:03 am, Jaromír Mikeš wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am proposing trailblazed=poles and trailblazed=cairns to get
> possibility tag trails which are marked by poles or by cairns ... I
> didn't find any appropriate way to do so.
> I am asking for your comments to this proposal

A tag for a cairn already exists, 'man_made=cairn'.

Some cairns mark places where a decent or assent can be more easily
made. And some of these have no path to them in any direction, what is
called 'off track walking'. Usually these cairns establish a point for
navigating something difficult (swamp, sharp rise etc) as such they
usually remain as a service to others.

Cairns and other markers on established trails may be removed by those
that don't like them. Sometimes they are relocated to lead people astray
(i have been a victim of this)!