[Tagging] Help me tag, pls!

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 12:23:20 UTC 2021

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 at 16:27, Peter Neale via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Off the top of my head, I am reminded most of a "lytch gate" (British
> English) although that would typically have an actual gate within it.

A lychgate would be positioned at the entrance of a churchyard.
I see no churchyard in the image, although it is conceivable there
used to be one.  A lychgate was where a corpse (aka lych) was
placed awaiting the funeral service, although they stopped being
used for that purpose when mortuaries were built.  In some parts
of the UK lychgates play a part in wedding ceremonies.

That's not a lychgate, despite looking a little like one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lychgate

--
Paul