[Tagging] Initial discussion - Military Cadets

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Mar 12 07:04:34 UTC 2021

I'm not militarily-inclined, so take with one grain of salt.

Each country with a military (yes, some have none or virtually none) structure their forces differently compared to others, so a tagging scheme that is broad enough to encompass all of them is what we want.  Similarly, each country with a military "feeds" its cadets / training / "regional training corps" (often units within secondary schools) / officer candidate schools / elite unit academies will also be structured differently compared to others.  I'm not saying we should make the whole thing ad hoc and leave it up to each country, rather do what OSM seems to be "at least pretty good" at doing (or getting right on a second or third refinement):  making a workable tagging scheme that is broad enough for everybody, even the odd cases, even the very "we're only going to use a sliver of this, but that sliver is exactly right for our small version of this."

For example, the USA has a "Space Command" but not every country does, so we should accommodate all the various methods that cadets / officers / members are trained and fed into that (and their buildings that map into the real world, but let's start with accommodating the logical structure broadly, then we will have what we need to "get physical").