[Tagging] Initial discussion - Military Cadets

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 23:38:56 UTC 2021

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 20:40, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <
bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would think twice putting these "institutions" under the military tag.

Thanks, Bert.

Yes, as I mentioned, I'm in two minds about it - No, cadets are not
military so shouldn't be listed under a military value, but listing them
there would mean that they're easy to find! & I've spotted quite a few of
them already mapped as landuse=military + military=barracks!

> In many countries it is forbidden to map military bases and that is often
> enforced very strict, you get prosecuted and face a jail sentence if they
> find you making pictures or being an enthusiastic OSM'er checking your
> ground truth at or nearby those places. A very specific warning to our
> fellow contributors is surely at it's place in those tagging guidelines.

That has been discussed quite a bit recently, & you've prompted me to
actually go through & add a Caution box to all the military pages.
{{Mapping Military Sites}}

> It's amazing to me that no one ever came up with amenity=school
> school=military or amenity=hospital hospital=military, as they are very
> common all over the world, or people just use the operator=* tag to see it
> as sufficient to refer to the military ?

Thanks - something else to look at! :-)

Thanks

Graeme