[Tagging] [Tagging ] How to tag a paleochannel of a river

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 20:30:44 UTC 2021

"Oxbow" is the term that I had forgotten - I knew I had come across
something similar.in OSM.

My two examples were both oxbow lakes initially, as they were the result of
river redesign cutting out bends. In a successive stage they were more or
less drained as all the terrain around there. The bigger one still has some
water in it, but is cut off from the river by a dyke. The smaller one is
most likely dry most tof the time.
The river runs between dykes (or berms) and its water level is considerably
higher than the water table in the surrounding terrain. (Nearly) all rivers
around here have a double function: drainage water is pumped up into them,
and irrigation water is pumped down out of them.

Both of these examples are recent and man-made.
There is another class of fossil oxbows, that are older, even often many
thousands of year older, and have silted up completely, but they often are
still visible in their contours, even if only for the fact that the
fertility of the silted-in part is different because different crops grown
there. I think that's what the term paleochannel refers to.

Question to native English speakers: are there other terms in this context,
which may be more suitable or the dried-up variety?
I want to avoid using a new term, if a different term is already in use.

Volker

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>