[Tagging] [Tagging ] How to tag a paleochannel of a river

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:41:05 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Mar 2021 at 20:33, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is another class of fossil oxbows, that are older, even often many
> thousands of year older, and have silted up completely, but they often are
> still visible in their contours, even if only for the fact that the
> fertility of the silted-in part is different because different crops grown
> there. I think that's what the term paleochannel refers to.

The mechanism and appearance of paleochannels are different from
oxbow lakes, as I understand the wikipedia articles.  But I could be
wrong about that.

> Question to native English speakers: are there other terms in this
> context, which may be more suitable or the dried-up variety?

Oxbow lakes can persist hundreds of years before they transform into
swamps or bogs (and at that stage should probably be mapped as such.
I don't think you can call it an oxbox lake if there's no water in it.  You
have a transition from water to swamp to bog to sub-surface differences
that we probably can't map.  Maybe, if the surface is lower than
the surroundings we could map that (except we don't really have a suitable
tag) until the day comes when river flooding removes even that
difference.

--
Paul