[Tagging] [Tagging ] How to tag a paleochannel of a river

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 10:00:53 UTC 2021

Thalweg is English, the German original is Talweg. It's on Wikipedia with a
nice picture. But that is not related to the thing I want to describe. My
objects are often highly visible from above, but you don't see them on the
ground. As many roadways are conditioned by them (tehy are build on the
dykes that run along the old river beds, these are important large-scale
landscape features.
A related term in german is Altarm, which is similar to the Oxbow. Normally
with water in them. There are hundreds of them on the River Rhine between
Basel and Mannheim. The present-day "river" on that stretch is in reality
an artificial canal built in the 19th century by one of the biggest
transnational engineering efforts in Europe. See the pictures on the
Wikipedia page https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinbegradigung.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>