[Tagging] Proposal - RFC - Lifeguard

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Mar 14 22:50:36 UTC 2021

On Mar 9, 2021, at 5:00 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> But how do we map a mobile structure that may be right here today, 200 m north of here tomorrow, then 200 m south the next day? isn't one of the basic principles of OSM that we only map fixed items?

I'm not sure of this "basic principle" always being followed.  For example, my university has a couple of quite popular food trucks (which are certainly mobile) that appear to be "parked" (during more-or-less "mealtime hours") in the same spots essentially continuously (well, for years, anyway).  I believe they might have negotiated with the university for some sort of special parking (and possibly food-service) permit(s) to do this.  And I'm OK with having these be mapped in OSM as "in the same place," even though they aren't strictly a "fixed item."

Of course, should the trucks "leave," the node should be removed from OSM.  But, that's OSM.

Similarly, lifeguard towers.  I agree that "one day here, the next day 200 m north..." isn't the same as "food truck, always in the same place," so either serious diligence would have to be applied, or the entirety of the "protected beach" (this might be different than the polygon that is natural=beach) could simply be tagged "lifeguard=yes," as that's what that tag is for, I believe.