[Tagging] Proposal - RFC - Lifeguard

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 01:00:41 UTC 2021

Marc, sorry for the slow response. I lost a friend to cancer on Monday so
I'm not real focussed on maps & mapping right at the moment :-(

As a result, some of my answers may be a little brisk so please accept my
apologies in advance - I certainly don't want to offend!

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 at 20:54, Marc_marc <marc_marc at mailo.com> wrote:

> I would rather see a "rational" section with only :

Sorry, this seems to be getting down to concerns over how the page is
formatted rather than the proposal itself? Maybe this is another change we
need to the Proposal Page wiki - what goes where?

> Besides it would be nice to match the new tags in the list of deprecated
> tags. old tag A -> new tag B+C

Everything will become emergency=lifeguard or lifeguard=yes.

Details of buildings etc are recommended but optional, & will depend on
just what the facility is.

for example emergency=water_rescue_station becomes office=lifeguard.

It wouldn't. As mentioned earlier ^, a WRS will become emergncy=lifeguard +
either lifeguard=base or lifeguard=tower, depending on it's size

> and for emergency=lifeguard_base ? it is not a place where you can
> access a rescue service, it's more a kind of landuse necessary for the
> rescue tower/platteformm to work.
> If my understanding is correct, it is quite inconsistent that it becomes
> "emergency=lifeguard where a lifeguard will be while on duty", isn't it
> rather an organizational area ?
>

>From my experience, at *any* time that a lifeguard / lifesaver patrol is on
the beach, there are invariably other lifeguards at their Base, maintaining
equipment, training, taking a break, preparing for or just finished a
shift, manning the comm's room etc

On the other hand, since the value =yes is by convention the indefinite
> value that groups together all the others, it would be nice to have a
> precise value for mobile structures,

But how do we map a mobile structure that may be right here today, 200 m
north of here tomorrow, then 200 m south the next day? isn't one of the
basic principles of OSM that we only map fixed items?

Thanks

Graeme