[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - boundary=forestry(_compartment) relations

David Marchal penegal.fr at protonmail.com
Wed Mar 17 18:46:26 UTC 2021

Deprecating natural=wood or landuse=forest seems necessary in order to avoid the proposed tagging simply becoming a seventh approach to forests: if I don't deprecate some or all of the current 6, how to avoid this proposal merely becoming a seventh? It sounds that it would simply increase confusion about this already confused. If a boundary=forestry encloses landuse=forest polygons, how should the data user understand the situation? What about landuse=forest+managed=no?

There may be a way for the proposal to not deprecate landuse=forest AND state that boundary=forestry should be used, and I would likely happily use it if I knew it, but months of edition and reflexion did not tell me how to achieve that without increasing the confusion around this already confused issue. The deprecation seems a good way to avoid that: all old approches are voided, use the new, period. Besides, most no votes were about other features; most people did not see a problem with this specific issue.

Finally, I'm aware that some people will not be happy about the proposal and could oppose it; that may be for many reasons they can argue about, or simply because they resist change. It's human, most of us resist change at various degrees; I include myself in that, as I at times heavily resist to changes I can't cope with. That being said, there is nothing I can do about it. All I can do is addressing arguments as best as I can, and then launch the vote and hope that the matter is serious enough for people to think twice about their resistance to change before rejecting it.

Regards.