[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - boundary=forestry(_compartment) relations

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 17:56:43 UTC 2021

I still don't see why this proposal requires deprecating landuse=forest. I
think that is asking for no-votes.
"This tag has been used for forestry areas as well as unmanaged wooded
areas. As a result, data consumers have interpreted this tag to mean a
wooded area with no specific forestry meaning implied. As a result, this
tag is effectively a synonym for natural
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=wood
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dwood>. "
is true enough I think, and will remain true for a while, independent of
the outcome of this proposal. I think the proposal should stick to the
boundary portion and not  portion. As far as landuse=forest is concerned,
state a preference if you must (and for the record, I share that
preference) but don't jeopardise the proposal by unnecessarily including
the deprecation of a tag with so many millions of uses.

Peter Elderson