[Tagging] Proposal - Library of things and Tool library

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 11:13:02 UTC 2021

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 11:02, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:

> I'd oppose the use of the term 'library' in the context of other items
> than books or their
> electronic equivalents. The term "library" is based on the Latin liber for
> book or document,
> contained in Latin libraria (collection of books) and librarium (container
> for books).

I share some of your distaste for using "library" in this way, but it is
already in
common usage in British and American English.  OSM uses British English
where possible, not Latin.

The alternative term is "Borrowing Centre."  However, the wikipedia article
on those notes that it is not a popular term and library of things/tools/
whatever is more common.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borrowing_center

> I'd prefer a generic term, focusing on the rental, e.g.
> amenity=object_rental, which can
> be specified to the particular object=[tool|toy|appliance].

That is a non-starter.  Rental may be free.  Or there's a refundable
deposit.
Some charge a rental fee, some do not.  I would not be happy with
amenity=object_rental + fee=no.

--
Paul