[Tagging] webpage=*

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 19:46:15 UTC 2021

website, url and webpage are all valid keys, anyone can use them even if no
one else does. Anyone who thinks uri is a better key for uri's is also
right and can use it. Systematically removing or replacing them is wrong
and should lead to a ban.

As for unifying this, I think it's not worth the hassle. I for one have
seen valid arguments for all these keys, and even missed a few for allowing
multiple keys so multiple purposes can be served. I use that e.g. for route
relations, where the website key references an information website about
e.g. all the routes maintained by an operator, and the url references the
page or sub-site of the route.
Same with stolpersteine: website references a site for a (sub)collection,
url gives the page or subpage for one stolperstein. I have had cases where
I could use a webpage key in addition.

It's up to the data consumers to decide what to support for particular use
cases. If I were a data user, I would support them all.

Peter Elderson