[Tagging] Mapping nonexistent paths

Arne Johannessen arne at thaw.de
Tue Mar 23 09:32:06 UTC 2021

Seth Deegan <jayandseth at gmail.com> wrote:

> 	• Are these cases for mapping nonexistent features limited to highways?

There are nonexistent coastlines at river mouths, for example:
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/149550311>

They are usually not tagged in any specific way, which can make things difficult if you want to show the actual shoreline as a line on the map.

This particular example is very rare in that it is in fact tagged, using coastline=imaginary, which I don't like very much language-wise ("whose imagination?") but which could probably get the job done. To me, coastline=virtual would seem more logical. Not sure how virtual=* could be used here (simply virtual=yes?).

--
Arne Johannessen
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Arne_Johannessen>