[Tagging] Mapping nonexistent paths

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Tue Mar 23 12:10:45 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 01:30:43PM +0300, Bert -Araali- Van Opstal wrote:
> I am sorry but I am still not seeing the advantage or added value to
> introduce keys or values to indicate that something is "less visible" or
> "less verifiable" or virtual or whatever you call it. I can't fit it in the
> model that exists in my mind how we map things, especially ways in OSM.

Sorry, but that is your problem. I use a couple of routers that will
send my on an absurd detour around a large park instead of choosing
a route directly across said park. OK, one could get around that
particular case by mapping the park with some sort of area highway,
but that would be pretty artificial and would not cater for bits
of the boundary that are not easily crossed. Oh, and noone is going
to tags all the parks in that way.

The park is just one example. When hiking in unfamiliar open
countryside, it is useful to know where can cross areas legally and
safely.

Routers will know when they are using "virtual" paths (or whatever we
call them) and display that section of the path in some distinctive
way so that the user is aware of the situation. Probably so deviations
from that section may be appropriate, and so on.

I just know that my current routers have an obvious and significant
limitation, and the suggestion of virtual paths or whatever seems to me
to be a simple solution. But I have not written any routers, so the
authors of such software are the ones who will have the most useful
opinions.

ael