[Tagging] Tag proposal for gender-neutral toilets on diversity-talk

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 22:30:16 UTC 2021

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 at 21:52, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:

> So if we try to redefine the toilet tagging, lets try to meet also these
> requirements: indicate if seats are unisex, and if ladies have to risk
> passing urinating males before they reach their safe cucbicle.

I doubt there are many public toilets in the UK where women have to walk
past
urinating men.  I've never seen one.

Taking one set of public toilets in my town that was converted to unisex
operation
as an example.  Pre-conversion, it had three entrances: one for wheelchair
users,
one for males, one for females.  The three areas were walled off from each
other.
Men's toilet had a sink, two urinals, and a cubicle.  I'm guessing the
female side
was similar to the male side except no urinals and maybe two cubicles.

Post-conversion it was three entrances, one for wheelchair users, the other
two led to unisex cubicles containing sink, toilet bowl, etc.  I think it
had
a baby changing shelf, but I've not used it for two years and can't
remember.  There was also a mirror, which is uncommon in male
public toilets here.

I expect there are other designs in other parts of the world, such as
single entrance, single anteroom with sink(s) and a row of cubicles
that can be used by any sex/gender.

My primary concern with tagging is "Can I, as a man, legally use this
toilet?"  If you're busting to use the toilet, that's all that really
matters.
Some people might not care to have a common anteroom for
all sexes/genders where you might have to wash your hands whilst
standing next to somebody of the "wrong" sex, but if you're
busting to use the toilet...  Some people, in regressive jurisdictions,
may find there are restrictive legal requirements to do with transgender
issues, and maybe we should map that, but I think that's the kind of
legislation we avoid mapping.

--
Paul