[Tagging] Tag proposal for gender-neutral toilets

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:55:36 UTC 2021

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 at 01:50, Cadence Ember <cloudrac3r at vivaldi.net> wrote:

> > That may be true in your country but it is not so in the UK.   For most
> > public toilets here there is a lock on the disabled facility, needing a
> > special key.
>
> From Rob's mail to the thread, there is also a German-origin key scheme
that has spread to other European countries.

I did not know about that. Is this something that could be tagged with
> `access=`?

That would only be feasible if you mapped male, female and disabled
facilities with their own nodes.  Given the typical size of toilet blocks,
only one would render and people using the query tool might miss
some of the nodes if they're unfamiliar with the tool.

> The toilet is itself gender neutral, it's just that there are
> additional requirements if one wants to use it.

It's probably a level of detail we don't need to map, simply adding
wheelchair=yes would imply a key is needed in countries with
key schemes.  What I was trying to draw attention to was your
assumption that "disabled, gender-neutral toilet is suitable
for any sex/gender including non-binary."  Physically and
legally suitable but not necessarily accessible.

--
Paul