[Tagging] Tagging full_service=* for amenity=fuel

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed May 12 16:03:58 UTC 2021

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 8:16 AM Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com> wrote:

> On 5/7/21 11:40, Philip Barnes wrote:
> > It is never going to be a large number, outside of a few US states
> > where self-service is apparently illegal, it has not been a thing in
> > Western Europe for 40 years.
>
> s/a few/two/
>
> Oregon and New Jersey if memory serves correctly.

Can't speak for New Jersey as it's been a very long time since I've
been to a gas station there, but full service is extremely rare in
Oregon, while minimum service is near-universal.  The difference being
at minimum service, the only guarantee is they pump the gas, that's
it.  You might even have to go inside to pay even with a card, though
service *that* minimal is usually only a BP and Arco thing.  If they
wash your windows for you it's because it's slow and they're bored.
Minimum service is almost always cheaper and faster than self service
because hiring a couple people is cheaper to insure than the general
public and things get marshalled through pretty quickly, it's just
unpopular with customers because of engrained expectation that self
service is always cheaper.  To the point where you can offer self
service and minimum service with minimum service being considerably
cheaper, ask people which is cheaper and they'll still say self...

At full service, they'll check and top off your tires and fluids at no
additional charge beyond the premium they're charging for full service
and there's usually laws preventing stations from advertising full
service if they're not actually providing full service.  The
expectation is that topping off other fluids is included in the added
price.