[Tagging] Mapping area of pedestrian crossing

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon May 17 14:46:20 UTC 2021

In some cases people may want to map pedestrian crossing
also as an area.

My proposal is to map such areas as
area:highway=crossing / area:highway=bicycle crossing,
as an optional addition to already optional area:highway mapping.

For example see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/655343334
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/655410319
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/654981687

Would it be OK?

Or maybe area:highway=pedestrian_crossing would be better?
Or is it too much and something like that should not be mapped in OSM?

I am not going to say that it is always useful or the most useful
part of mapping, but in some cases it will be actually used.

In fact I actually used it in OpenStreetMap based map that was using
area:highway data - and delivered it to a school for a blind children
where it will be used. Photo of initial prototype is at
https://github.com/matkoniecz/lunar_assembler/issues/26#issuecomment-842358431

I mapped for now such areas as area:highway=crossing
I used area:highway=bicycle_crossing for bicycle-only crossing parts.