[Tagging] Mapping area of pedestrian crossing

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue May 18 06:36:54 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 10:48 2021-05-17, Georg đã viết:
> Hi Mateusz,
>
>> In some cases people may want to map pedestrian crossing
>> also as an area.
>>
>> For example see
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/655343334
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/655410319
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/654981687
>
> Without knowing the 3 objects in situ, in maps and aerial imagery they
> do look like 3 usual crossings. Like all crossings, they do have a
> certain length and width, i.e. as geometric shape, all crosssings are
> not a line but an area (mostly squares) just like streets, waterways
> etc. But in OSM sense, why shall these 3 not seen as line but areas?
>
> I'd better understand "area" for crossings like
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/50.00152/8.25936 which in contrast
> to an X-crossing (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedestrian_scramble)
> has not just 6 lines interconnecting 4 points, but where you can go from
> any point to any point.

Aside from pedestrian scrambles, I frequently encounter opportunities to
map crossing areas in the parking lots of big box stores such as Walmart
in the U.S. A crosshatched area may run along the perimeter road of a
parking lot, spanning the intersections of multiple parking aisles. Here
are some examples that I and others have mapped as area:highway=footway
footway=crossing, by analogy with linear crossing ways:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/944121524 (clearest in Bing imagery)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/657494224 (Mapbox or OSIP 6in imagery)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/944124257 (Mapbox or OSIP 6in, note
the nonrectangular shape)
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/944128107 (Bing, note adjacent linear
crossing)

If these crossings or pedestrian scrambles can be represented as areas,
then I see no reason why more linear crossings couldn't also be
represented as areas as a form of micromapping. However, linear
crossings should also be represented by highway=footway ways, just as
highway=residential would need to accompany any area:highway=residential.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us