[Tagging] [How to tag a] Depot for sand, earth, and other bulk materials

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:53:46 UTC 2021

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal <bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com>:

> I tag them as man_made=bunker_silo (
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dbunker_silo) and
> content=* (values like sand, gravel, salt etc...)

Combine with landuse=commercial for the ones at depots for sale or
> landuse=industrial or landuse=construction for the piles not for sale to
> the general public.
> I know the wiki says these are for agriculture but it's easy to extend
> (wiki) for other purposes. Bunker silos don't necessarily have 3 walls to
> contain the bulk material, as in your example I can't recognise any but
> essentially they are the same thing and serve the same purpose. Some have
> ditches around them or are pits, with the same purpose of containment and
> additionally collecting run-off in wet conditions.
> Introducing another landuse or man_made tag seems ambiguous to me,
> especially using stockpile as some might be empty short or long term and
> then it would be to be defined as a pile or stock_pile.
> Using the man_made tag is easy as they can be easily mapped and
> incorporated in all kinds of larger facilties let it be depots, factories,
> hardware stores, construction sites or just along roads as maintenance
> stock depots.

Bunker silo could be stretched to include these piles of bulk material. But
they are formed on the terrain as needed, for different bulk materials. So
I can't pinpoint and tag individual bunker silo's, and I can't tag the
contents. That's not necessarily a problem, but again, stretching thngs.
As for the landuse, it's not commercial or industrial, and the land itself
is not a construction site. Maybe industrial could be stretched to include
common storage for various bulk materials for various current and future
municipal projects in the municipal area?