[Tagging] [How to tag a] Depot for sand, earth, and other bulk materials

Bert -Araali- Van Opstal bert.araali.afritastic at gmail.com
Tue May 18 13:27:07 UTC 2021

I tag them as man_made=bunker_silo
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dbunker_silo
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dbunker_silo>) and
content=* (values like sand, gravel, salt etc...). Combine with
landuse=commercial for the ones at depots for sale or landuse=industrial
or landuse=construction for the piles not for sale to the general public.
I know the wiki says these are for agriculture but it's easy to extend
(wiki) for other purposes. Bunker silos don't necessarily have 3 walls
to contain the bulk material, as in your example I can't recognise any
but essentially they are the same thing and serve the same purpose. Some
have ditches around them or are pits, with the same purpose of
containment and additionally collecting run-off in wet conditions.
Introducing another landuse or man_made tag seems ambiguous to me,
especially using stockpile as some might be empty short or long term and
then it would be to be defined as a pile or stock_pile.
Using the man_made tag is easy as they can be easily mapped and
incorporated in all kinds of larger facilties let it be depots,
factories, hardware stores, construction sites or just along roads as
maintenance stock depots.

Greetings,

Bert Araali