[Tagging] Mapping area of pedestrian crossing

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu May 20 06:31:39 UTC 2021

sent from a phone

> On 20 May 2021, at 06:43, Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> wrote:
>
> area:highway=crossing would be inconsistent with how linear crossing ways are tagged highway=footway footway=crossing. Granted, crossing nodes are tagged highway=crossing

IMHO the crossing area would correspond more closely to the crossing node. The crossing way is just a crutch to keep the graph connected, but in some cases (e.g. unmarked crossings) does not relate to anything physical on the ground. For marked crossings, the way is strongly related to the area _as well_, but the consequence is we have to decide to borrow from one of them, and the node is more universal.

Cheers Martin