[Tagging] How to tag small "seating rocks"?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Thu May 27 17:10:25 UTC 2021

On Thu, 27 May 2021 11:30:52 +0200
Guillaume Chauvat <guillaume at chauvat.eu> wrote:

> Categories are fuzzy. How do you call something that looks exactly like a park bench, that's in a park or a street, except it's only wide enough for one person?

That's the point. It absolutely makes no sense to have different
amenity values in a geo DB for benches and chairs since their exact
properties are better specified by additional keys (capacity/seats,
backrest, material etc). It's a bit different with loungers, picnic
tables etc. where their purpose is different.

Of course it is futile to try to change the scheme(s) completely now but
explicitly allowing capacity/seats=1 for amenity=bench would be good.
It's actually a single-word change on the page - the addition of
"often" or "mostly" (but I'd rather add a paragraph that describes the
different aspects: chair vs. bench + seats vs. capacity).

I won't do it though because of the stubbornness and lack of debating
culture shown already here but that's what I would propose.