[Tagging] Clothes Line Dryer

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon May 31 07:55:54 UTC 2021

>     On 05/31/2021 9:43 AM Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>     On 30/5/21 11:18 pm, Paul Allen wrote:
>
>         > >         On Sun, 30 May 2021 at 09:01, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com > wrote:
> >
> >             > > >
> > >             How about man_made=laundry_dryer? Not only clothes that can be washed and therefore dried so laundry dryer might be ok.
> > >
> > >         > >         laundry_dryer sounds good to me, but amenity rather than man_made.  It
> >         is an amenity, after all.  And then subtag it with laundry_dryer=rotary,
> >         laundry_dryer=line, laundry_dryer=tumble, etc.
> >

> >     >

>     I'd think anything 'man made' would be an amenity, otherwise why make it?

I think the idea of an amenity is that it is useful for the public at large or the community as a whole. Something in your back yard might be an amenity to you personally, but not so much to a wider audience.
man_made=* is a ridiculous tag anyway, as its only function is to distinguish objects from natural things. Everything is either natural, or it's man-made (what about animal-made things like beaver dams?) Is a lake any less a lake because it was dug by hand? Some man-made things are not "useful" in my definition of the word - artworks for example. They are far from pointless, but  I wouldn't call them "useful".