[Tagging] Title of maps (information=map)

Hufkratzer hufkratzer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:13:24 UTC 2021

On 01.11.2021 21:11 Mike Thompson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2021 at 2:06 PM Raphael <dafadllyn at gmail.com
> <mailto:dafadllyn at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 at 22:17, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:miketho16 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > In my experience 'names' that appear on signs, including map
>     boards, are usually the names of other things.  In the case of a
>     map board, it is usually the name of the park, the trail head, or
>     perhaps a trail.  In those cases the park, trailhead, or trail
>     should be tagged with the 'name' that appears on the map board.
>
>     Do you think that the map can or shouldn't be given a `name` tag
>     repeating the name of the park, town, trail etc.?
>
> No. The wording on the sign/map board is not the "name" of the
> sign/map board, it may be the name of a park, etc., or it could be a
> greeting "Welcome to ABC National Park", or other information.
>
> Mike

This makes sense to me. I have used name= for maps a few times too
because I didn't think about it and because JOSM has it in the preset.
But this and the referenced discussions (especially this reply:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2021-January/059087.html)
have convinced me so far that some other title tag would be more
appropriate. iD does not have "name" in the preset for maps; and for
information boards in
https://github.com/openstreetmap/id-tagging-schema/issues/64 it was
asked to substitute "name" by "board:title" (without response yet).