[Tagging] Title of maps (information=map)

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Mon Nov 1 23:21:02 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 10:33 2021-10-31, Tod Fitch đã viết:

>> On Oct 31, 2021, at 9:41 AM, Raphael <dafadllyn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> I've just wanted to map a map including its title when i noticed that
>> the wiki doesn't mention a tag for titles. I would have thought of
>> `title`, but this tag has only been used 201 times. Instead, 41% of
>> all maps (more than 34 000) have a `name` tag. This doesn't seem like
>> a good idea to me as data users will need to convert `name` into
>> title. (If this isn't done, e.g. searching for a town also finds a map
>> with the name of the town in its title - which currently happens on
>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/.)
>>
>> Is the use of the name tag for titles accepted? Otherwise i'll propose
>> using `title`.
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Raphael
>>

> I am confused as to why a map title is something that needs to be in the OSM database. In my case, and I assume most others, the titles I put on my printed maps are not directly correlated with any object in the center of the map. For example, I have two printed maps I create that cover one mountain. I label one something like “Mountain East” and the other something like “Mountain West”. The peak has a name of “Mountain” but there is nothing in the OSM database with “Mountain East” or “Mountain West”. Those are simply names I created out of thin air to describe to me what the maps cover.
>
> What is your use case for having some object(s) in the OSM database tagged with a “title=*” tag?

Just in case it was unclear: this is asking about the title of a map
that itself is being mapped because it's posted publicly, not the title
of a map created from OSM data.

(Or maybe the map on the board _is_ based on OSM data, in which case it
needs to be updated to show its own location and title. ;-) )

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us