[Tagging] Title of maps (information=map)

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 18:18:36 UTC 2021

Jumping in late in the discussion (sorry), "title=*" seems appropriate to me.
Regards,Peter(aka PeterPan99)

    On Wednesday, 10 November 2021, 18:11:36 GMT, Mike Thompson <miketho16 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 11:00 AM Raphael <dafadllyn at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 7 Nov 2021 at 22:55, ael via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 09:57:35PM +0100, Peter Elderson wrote:
> > For me it sounds wrong.
> >
> > Stones, plaques, caves, gates, wooden headbords and such have inscriptions. Boards with maps have headers like title or name of the map.
>
> I agree. In British English, this is unusual terminology. To say that a
> map has an "inscription" would suggest that something beyond the title
> had been added.

You are right, inscription seems to be an inappropriate term for
titles. If we want to use a more appropriate tag for titles, it makes
more sense to use "title" or something similar.

How do we want to proceed? If i've counted correctly, five of us
(including me) would prefer another tag and five think that "name" is
fine. Would some of you that wrote that "name" is fine also be fine
with a new tag "title" or similar?

If we use name=*, then by that reasoning street signs could be tagged with name=<name of street>, and city limit signs could be tagged with name=<name of city>.
I am fine with title=*
Mike