[Tagging] Retagging open_hours:last_check to check_date:opening_hours

Johannes Rössel osm-tagging at hypftier.de
Sun Nov 28 08:48:32 UTC 2021

Good morning, list.

Recently while updating opening hours from photos I took, I came across
opening_hours:last_check (which was way outdated). I first chose to
update it to the current date, but for the next POI there actually were
both opening_hours:check_date (way in the past) and a somewhat more
recent check_date:opening_hours. So that got me thinking whether there
should actually be two tags here.

Most of the oh:cd date from around 2016. Most of the cd:oh (at least the
conflicting ones in this dataset) were created by StreetComplete (which
also uses them to determine when to re-check opening hours). Digging
around a bit, it seems that the :last_check and :lastcheck suffixes were
eventually folded into the check_date: prefix.

So would it be okay to re-tag both

opening_hours:last_check (about 130 instances) and
opening_hours_lastcheck (about 1300 instances)

to check_date:opening_hours? I've actually got an uncommitted changeset
for the first one lying around here. And there are two things I've noticed:

1. The tag is frequently out of date. Not only because StreetComplete
ignores it, but also because manual mappers often ignore and don't
update it.
2. Stemming from StreetComplete ignoring it, there are sometimes both
oh:lc and cd:oh when opening hours are resurveyed.

Thinking about it a bit more since yesterday there are probably four
ways this could be done:

1. Do nothing.

2. Change the two tags to check_date:opening_hours with the actual date
the opening hours have last been updated.

3. Change to check_date:opening_hours only if there has been resurveying
of the opening_hours and the last check date is newer than the actual
opening_hours change and remove the tag otherwise. This is basically the
result of what StreetComplete usually does, as far as I can tell
(check_date is only added when resurveying and nothing has changed).
However, it's unlikely to appear from what I've seen so far, as the old
tags are rarely updated.

4. Only resolve the conflicts between oh:lc and cd:oh where both appear
and keep cd:oh with the newest date. This only affects 17 objects, though.

5. Do nothing now, but implement checks and fixes for JOSM/iD/Osmose/...

In terms of how this could be done ... I'm not sure I'd really want to
ot 10× the objects by hand, at least not alone. Options 2 and 3 could be
scripted. It requires looking at the history, but is a fairly mechanical
process. Other options would be MapRoulette to get it done fairly
quickly. Or let StreetComplete clean up the old tags when updating an
object (this may take quite a while, but the SC maintainers may not like
to implement such things that are likely a one-time global fix if done
differently). And there's always option 5 if a global change if deemed
to destructive. Although it mostly seems to affect Southern Germany and
little outside of that area.

Any opinions?

Regards,
Johannes