[Tagging] cyclist profiles - was:Feature Proposal - RFC - value 'basic_network' - cycle_network?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 11:50:00 UTC 2021

A route relation in OSM is a pre-scribed itinerary between two locations.
You can tell by the signage.

The signage can also tell you why. The Node network system is a
planning/routing/navigation system, and you can tell that by the junctions
having a node label (number, code or name), and the connecting routes
waymarked by the network-specific symbol/style, often (but not necessarily)
repeating the label of the Node to which the traveler is going. The
traveler explicitly plans and travels along pre-scribed routes from labeled
Node to labeled Node.

Named, labeled or numbered routes typically just show where to go, without
destination. Well, they can show destination as extra information; you
don't need it to continue your trip.

"Commuter routes" or "functional routes" or "cycle_highways", if they have
verifiable start/end points and specific signage, are regular routes,
developed with a different audience in mind.
If you want data users to be able to emphasize these in rendering and
routing, you can tag the information on the routes, provided you can tell
it by the signage. If the signage just tells you it's part of a particular
scheme or programme (typically called a "network"), but you need external
information to know what the purpose is, I guess you just tag the name of
the "network" or the issuing organisation or the operator.
There is room for interpretation - Cyclists over there probably know the
meaning of certain names, refs, signage styles etcetera.

Regular destination-oriented signage does not prescribe itineraries, it
just says: on this junction go left if you want to go to the lake, right if
you are on your way to Rome or to the local market, etc. No routes there.

Now the German destination oriented cycling signage uses official
guideposts with official pre-scribed connections (chains of ways) between
them, waymarked with specific official symbols. This same method is used in
several other countries. Where it occurs, mappers have already used
different mapping methods. From what I see, I think most in the end come to
the conclusion that adding the ways to route relations does the job, and
that you can't do it in humongous relations, you need to break it up into
manageable parts, to keep it scalable. Some split the relations by area,
others in more but smaller relations, grouped into collections of
interconnected routes (network relations).

The German approach is to define each official destination based guidepost
as start/end point, and each Guidepost2Guidepost connecting route as a
separate route relation. The verifiable official signage defines the
start/end points and the connection routes.

No matter the approach: humongous relations, smaller relations, or tag the
ways, If you want data users to be able to emphasize this "official cycling
way" system in rendering and routing, you can tag the information on the
routes (or ways), provided you can tell by the signage, which is the case
in Germany and (though less developed) in some (maybe many)  other
countries.

In short: yes, it is about signage and what the signage conveys.

Peter Elderson