[Tagging] Admin Boundary admin_centre or label roles

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 1 18:35:58 UTC 2021

In the UK you can decompose this into three distinct entities, at the level of counties/unitary authorities (admin_level=6) down to civil parishes (admin_level=10).

1) An administrative area - created, modified and removed by legislation
2) The public administration ("council") which is also created, modified and removed by legislation
3) The settlements, varying in size from a single house to a huge city

There is an N:M relationship between 1 and 2 - there are councils that cover multiple administrative areas, there are areas that are not covered by a council, there are even areas that are governed jointly by two councils

The Council referred to in 2) may be named differently from the area named in 1)
There may be no settlement within the area named the same as either 1) or 2), and if there is, it may or may not be the HQ location of the council

There are even councils whose main administrative location is outside their own area.

So any talk about removing "place" nodes whose name happens to correspond to an administrative area or a council that runs it, won't fit the UK.